A field of asphalt originally dominated the front of this gracious 1920’s house. The art-loving clients requested a welcoming arrival area including a place for sculpture, a koi pond, and a garden designed in the traditional European style. The newly aligned driveway, flanked by clouded boxwoods, hollies, pines and cedars gently meanders to a parking area near the front door. The parking is spatially separated from the entrance garden by a native limestone retaining wall and broad granite steps. Ascending the steps toward the house, the visitor processes through a garden of quiet formality. On axis with the steps, a sunken reflecting pool is embraced by a garden of clipped holly hedges, rows of pleached hornbeams, boxwood, winterberry and a sculptural specimen oak tree. Moving away from the house, the formal gardens transition to a naturalistic meadow and reclaimed woodland and link an existing tupelo grove to new native plantings at the property's edge.
Copyright ©2017 Anne Penniman Associates LLC